Equality in Hip-Hop

     This is my second action project, in which had to create a PSA. The PSA had to be related to one of the 4 elements of hip-hop, graffiti, breakdancing, MCing, and DJing. The PSA also had to address one of the targets from either the 4th, 5th or 6th SDG. The one my group chose was SDG 5, gender equality. We chose this one because of how present misogyny was in the 4 elements of hip-hop. This was shown in one of our books for class, "Can't Stop Won't Stop". In the book, it is shown that women get treated less fairly than men in the world of hip-hop. For example, graffiti was often viewed as a men's activity. When the women tried to do it, people assumed that a man did the work, and the girl was just there. Everyone deserves to have their work seen, and gender shouldn't play a role in that.

For the action project itself, my group made two posters addressing one of the targets for SDG 5. My target was 5.5, "Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic, and public life." The way I wanted to show that in my poster was by having people read it and see the unfair disadvantages women face when it comes to breakdancing and graffiti. I want people to look at my poster and realize what these women are going through, and that we should do something about it.

To conclude, I'm very happy with how my poster turned out. I enjoyed doing the research and putting how I felt about this topic on the poster. I hope that people realize how prominent misogyny is in almost every aspect of life, and that we do something to change it.

Sources

Flynn, Niall. “‘It’s One Big Boys Club’: The Women Reclaiming Graffiti Culture.” Huck Magazine, 15 Aug. 2022, www.huckmag.com/art-and-culture/art-2/graffiti-misogyny-got-collective-wom/.

Iversen, Chelsea. “Women Street Artists Explain Why Street Art Is So Male Dominated.” Medium, 29 Nov. 2016, thebolditalic.com/women-street-artists-explain-why-street-art-is-so-male-dominated-5e475b276686.

United Nations. “Goal 5 | Department of Economic and Social Affairs.” Sdgs.un.org, United Nations, 2022, sdgs.un.org/goals/goal5.

Chang, Jeff. Can't Stop Won’t Stop: A History of the Hip Hop Generation. S.L., Wednesday Books, 2021.



‌‌

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Home?

Eyes

A World of My Own