To the Children of the Future

    This is my action project for my class Poetic Justice. During this class, we learned about how politics and poetry intersect with each other. To grasp this, we read many poems about incarceration, immigration, racism, and many other topics that relate to our overall theme of political poetry. We also learned how poetics can expand beyond poetry, such as through works of art and movies. We visited art galleries that featured many different works of art, all of which showcased poetry through art forms outside of poetry. For example, the first gallery we went to featured a picture of a toy truck with many other toys surrounding it. This art was made to show the innocence of Black youth, and how we have to protect it, as many of these Black youths have their lives cut short due to instances of police brutality. This art and the many others we saw showcased poetry in its many different forms.


    


For this action project, we had to write a poem about a poetical issue that is important to us. The issue that I chose was climate change. Climate change is an issue that will affect all of us, so I thought it would be a good idea to write a letter to the children of the future, and to the people of today so that those children will be able to have a future. We also created a chapbook of all the poems we've created throughout the term. I think it's very cool to see all of our poems altogether. We've put a lot of work into them this term, and I'm glad we get to see the finished products. 


My Poem

 

Artist Statement

 

Chapbook


Overall, this class has been very enjoyable. I learned a lot about the art of poetry, how much thought and effort goes into making a good poem, the many different styles of poetry, and much more. My action project poem particularly showed me this. A lot of work went into my poem, with lots of thoughts, feedback, and revisions all getting this poem where it is now. This whole process really showed me how important revision is. You'll never make something perfect on the first try, regardless of how good you think it is, so getting feedback and improving with that feedback can make a better product overall. I really enjoyed this class, and I'm very glad I chose it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Home?

Eyes

A World of My Own